Scott County, Tennessee

Frequently Asked Questions

Who must register to vote in Tennessee?

If you have never registered to vote in Tennessee, changed your address since you last registered or had your rights restored as required by law after being convicted of a felony, you must register or re-register.

Who is eligible to register in Tennessee?

Any U.S. Citizen who is at least eighteen (18) years old on or before the next election, who is a resident of Tennessee and who has never been convicted of a felony or, has had their rights of citizenship restored or received a pardon, may register to vote.

How long must I be a resident of Tennessee before I can register to vote (if I have just moved)?

You can register as soon as you become a resident.

Do I have to register at a specific time?

Although you my may register at any time, you must register no later than 30 days before the day of the election you want to vote in.

Are there different places where I can register to vote?

In-person Voter Registration is available at the Election Commission Office, driver's license stations, Department of Human Services, Health Department, Veterans' Affairs office, or military recruiting office. By-mail voter registration forms are also available at all U.S. Post Offices in the county, local libraries, county clerk's office, and register of deeds office.

Can I register to vote by mail?

Yes, you can fill out a mail-in voter registration form to register to vote. You must sign the form and mail it to the election commission office early enough for it to be postmarked at least thirty (30) days before Election Day. The address to mail the form to is P.O. Box 586, Huntsville, TN 37756.

Where can I get a mail-in registration form?

You may call the election commission office at 423-663-3210 or write to us at P.O. Box 586, Huntsville, TN 37756 or e-mail us at or you can pick one up at a public assistance office, motor vehicle licensing station, Register of Deeds office, County Court Clerk's Office, public library or post office or download a printable form. for a downloadable and printable form.

How do I complete the form? (See SAMPLE below)

Using a ball-point pen (black or blue ink only), check the appropriate box at the top of the form to indicate whether this is a new registration, address change or name change. PRINT the information in items 1-8. Next, read the VOTER DECLARATION and mark the four 'True' or 'False' statements with the appropriate response. Sign your name by the "X". Fold the form and seal it, address it to the Scott County Election Commission, P.O. Box 586, Huntsville, TN 37756, place a stamp on it and mail it at least 30 days before an election.



If I move to a different address within the county, do I have to re-register?

If you are already registered in Scott County, you do not have to re-register. However, you do have to change your address. You can do that by:
a) Completing a mail-in registration form and checking the box that says "Address Change". Mail or hand-deliver the form to the election commission office -P.O. Box 586, Huntsville, TN 37756.
b) Printing your new address on the back of your current voter registration card (SEE sample below), sign it and mail it to the election commission office; or
c) Voting at one of our Early Voting locations and changing your address at that time.


  I plan to move to another county, what do I need to do?

Once you move to the new county, you must re-register at your new address. Complete the Application for Voter Registration and check "New Registration". Send the form to the election commission office in that county.

I moved to Tennessee from another state or I am moving from Tennessee to another state. How do I register?

If you move to Tennessee from another state, you must complete a new Application for Voter Registration and check the box indicating "New Registration" or you may register in person at the Election Commission Office, Drivers' License Renewal Center, Department of Human Services, Health Department, Veterans' Affairs Office or Military Recruitment Center. If you move to another state, you must check with the election office there for information regarding their voter registration procedures.

If I get married and change my name, do I have to change my voter registration?

You have the option of using your old name or changing your name after you get married. If you want to change your name, you can complete a mail-in registration form and check the box for "Name Change" or call our office at 423-663-3210 for more information on making a name change. You should also notify the election commission office in person or in writing if your address changes.

Will the election commission office let me know if I am a registered voter?

If the Application for Voter Registration has been properly filled out with all the required information, your voter registration card will be mailed to you in approximately two weeks after we receive your application. You will not be a registered voter until you receive your card in the mail.

Does the State of Tennessee require me to declare which political party I belong to when I register to vote?

The State of Tennessee does not require you to register by political party. However, you must select a political party if you vote in a primary election. You may vote for candidates of either party in a general election.

Once I have registered and voted, do I have to register again before each election?

Once you register to vote, you can vote in future elections as long as you maintain your address in Scott County or respond to the confirmation notices that may be sent to you. If you are not sure of your status, you can call our office at 423-663-3210.

How will I know where I vote?

Your voter registration card has your Election Day polling location printed on it. In addition, we print the locations and addresses of all polling places in the local newspaper before each election along with Early Voting locations. Or, you can click on this link Where Do I Vote? to determine your polling place location.

On what day are elections held?

Elections for the offices of President, Vice President, United States Senators and Representatives, Governor, State Senators and Representatives are held on the first Tuesday after the first Monday in November of every even-numbered year. Municipal elections for the Towns of Huntsville and Winfield are also held on this date. Elections for judicial and county officials and State primary elections are held on the first Thursday in August of every even-numbered year. Referendum elections may also be held on that date. Elections for the Town of Oneida are held on the first Saturday in November of every odd-numbered year.

If I am not able to vote on Election Day, what can I do?

Any registered voter in Scott County, regardless of where they live within the county, may vote during Early Voting. This is a period of time from the twentieth day to the fifth day before an election when you can vote at the election commission office or at the Oneida Municipal Building. Call the election commission office at 423-663-3210 for dates and times or check the local newspapers. Information will also be posted on our website at

If I will be out of town both during the Early Voting Period and on Election Day, how can I vote?

Not more than 90 days and not later than 7 days before an election, you may request an absentee ballot from the Election Commission Office either in person, by mail or by fax. If the request includes your name, address, social security number, the address outside the county to which you want the ballot mailed, the election(s) in which you wish to vote, the reason you must vote absentee by-mail and your signature, it will serve as an official application for a ballot. You must mail your absentee ballot back to the Election Office in time to reach us before the polls close on Election Day (8:00 p.m.).

Can I still vote in a Presidential election if I move to another state just before that election?

If you move to another state less than thirty (30) days before the election for electors for President and Vice-President and, for that reason, do not satisfy the registration requirements of your new residence for that election, you may vote in the Presidential election only in the precinct in Tennessee where you were last registered. You may vote either in person or by absentee ballot (you must vote in person if you registered by mail and have not voted since registering).

If I want to write in the name of someone who is not on the ballot, what should I do?

Our voting machines are designed and set-up to allow for someone's name to be written in when their name does not appear on the ballot. Just ask the election official at the precinct or Early Voting location to explain how the write-in feature of the voting machine works. Any person attempting to be elected by write-in ballots must complete a notice requesting such person's ballots be counted no later than twenty (20) days before the general election. Any person attempting to receive a party nomination by write-in ballots must complete a notice requesting such ballots be counted no later than twenty (20) days before the primary election.

How does a person vote if they are in college?

You can register and vote in the precinct in which your school is located or in your home precinct. If you are a full-time student in a school in Tennessee that is located in a county other than where you live, you may vote an absentee by-mail ballot. This also applies to your spouse who may be residing with you. Remember, if you registered by mail, you must vote in person the first time you do so after registering. Call our office at 423-663-3210 for information on requesting your absentee by-mail ballot.

How does a person with disabilities vote?

Voters with disabilities can vote absentee by-mail (they must still vote in person the first time they vote if they registered by mail unless a doctor's statement is provided at the time of registering or when applying to vote absentee by-mail) or they may be assisted by anyone of their choice (except a candidate) if they want to vote at the polls. By providing a doctor's statement, the voter may be placed on the permanent absentee voting register and an application for absentee ballot will automatically be sent for every election the voter is eligible to vote in.

What election district do I live in?

Your voter registration card will have the County District, City Ward (if applicable), Special School District (if applicable), Tennessee Senate, Tennessee House and U.S. Congressional District printed on it as well as your voting location. If you have not registered or you cannot locate your card, you may call our office at 423-663-3210 and we will be happy to advise you of your election district.

How can I find out who my representatives are?

Call our office at 423-663-3210 or click here.

How will I know who the candidates are for the offices in my district each election year?

The election commission office can supply a list of candidates as well as sample ballots. Local newspapers, radio and television stations will carry news stories regarding candidates and upcoming elections. You may also call political party headquarters for information.

Is there information I can get about the candidates?

Newspaper stories about candidates and announcements of public forums and debates are published for several weeks before an election. The Nashville group of The League of Women Voters may publish a Voter's Guide which is a non-partisan listing of answers given by candidates on the State level to questions concerning some of the important issues in the race. They may be reached by calling 615-297-7134, FAX: 615-385-2157 or write to the League of Women Voters of Tennessee, P.O. Box 158369, Nashville, TN 37215.

Election Central